One Architect + One Designer = Home Renovation
The Project : :
Details : :
* Paint Ceiling and Wood Beams
* Paint Walls
* Replace Ceiling Fan
* Remove Upper Cabinet Cornice
* Refinish Mid Century door bell
* Remove the half door leading to the stairs
The kitchen was an interesting project. We had a tight budget for this space so we knew that replacing the cabinets and flooring was out of the question. Instead, we went for simple, inexpensive, aesthetic changes. The first thing to go was the upper cabinet cornice. This was a HUGE eyesore and did not have any context to the style of the home.
Brian was very excited about having to get up on a ladder again to paint the ceiling and beams!
I wouldn’t recommend painting like this. Not the safest of moves, but it got the job done. The insides of the cabinets were a bare wood. So, we painted all of the interiors with a white to match the exterior. This was an easy step to bring the cabinets up to date and begin our time in them with a fresh, clean start.
The ceiling fan was very traditional and lacked in design so we replaced it with a more modern twin fan. This turned the ceiling fan from an eye sore to a feature in the kitchen.
By removing the cornice, the upper cabinet immediately transformed. We were able to achieve the look we wanted while salvaging the cabinet.
We wanted an “appetizing” color for the kitchen - one that would be bright, bold, and complement the color palette for the rest of the house. We chose a sassy green reminiscent of a tasty, tart granny smith apple! The color also pairs well with the bright orange wall in the living room. This was an important aspect because the vantage point from the front door allows you to see both colors at the same time.
Mini Project: : The Mid Century Door Bell Renovation
We didn’t manage to take a “before” photo of our door bell, but the above 1950s / 60s Nutone door bell is spot on to what we had. We loved the retro lines of the door bell, but knew it needed some updating. So, Brian went to work on it. He found a cheap perforated metal tray and cut a rectangular piece to replace the brass mesh. Then, he painted the bell a matte white finish.
It looks fantastic! It became one of our favorite little treasures in the house!
As always, our favorite time in a room reno… adding the artwork. (Artwork above is EVRT Studio)
Check out the After Photos Here